Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Staying up too late... again.

Tonight it was online defensive driving. Because I speed. Occasionally.

But I just started reading a book that is trying to convince me to start waking up before my kids wake up. Which I never do, because that's just really freaky early. But they make a good argument. It's one of those things where I definitely like the idea but loathe the implementation. I can't remember the last time that I set an alarm clock, but it may have been before Jack was born. For me, the degree of getting-up-early lameness is directly related to how late I stay up the night before - which is nearly always way too late. So I'm praying about changing habits. Trying to discern what would be the most effective use of my time. I tend to say that I'm willing to make needed changes, but first _____ (fill in the blank with whatever the current situation is). Right now it's resettling life post-Christmas, adjusting Elijah's sleep routine, potty-training Jack, finishing defensive driving... The problem is that there's always something that holds me back from making any drastic adjustments. So challenge me, folks - I'll probably need a lot of encouragement to jump off the 5 a.m. ledge.

3 comments:

Garcia Family said...

You think your bad? How bout having your kid staying up late AND waking up late along with you!! Girl, I've got you beat! Johnny's excuse alway's ends with "But she so much fun! I don't want to put her down." Everything is so out of whack in our home, including letting my hubby be Mr. Mom! Your lucky they show up on time to your house for carpool! LOL.

Kelly said...

Just realized you were keeping up with your blog! The problem with this post is that if I challenge you on it, I should really be challenging myself and examining my evening routines. Which I want to do and am almost ready to do...until the morning comes!

aggieben said...

Want a wake-up call? I've been fighting this very thing for a few months with some success. They key for me has been to be in bed trying to be asleep at 10pm. Getting up at 5am really isn't that hard if I'm really in bed at 10pm every night (adjust appropriately if you need more or less than 7 hours).