Monday, January 12, 2009

Reading the Bible this year

So I'm finally caught up! I knew, in some fashion, that our church was encouraging everyone to read through the Bible together this year. And, because I succumb fairly easily to positive peer pressure, I was planning to participate. But I didn't actually get my hands on the reading plan until we were already 5 days in! So I've been playing catch-up for awhile now, squeezing it in whenever I could -- leaving Bibles in various rooms throughout the house so that I wouldn't miss an opportune moment. But tomorrow I'll just have the normal reading to take care of, which should mean a change in my methodology.
I definitely need to find a way to be more consistent with my Bible-reading time. Not that there's anything innately wrong with reading the Bible in spurts throughout the day (better than not at all!), but I think it's much less valuable than time set aside to sit at Jesus' feet and allow the Word to speak to me. Of course that's much harder for me to find. As a mommy of two little boys, it's a challenge to do anything that requires time alone and quiet. I can definitely relate to Susannah Wesley (no relation to our lovely pastor's wife... I think) pulling her apron over her head to read her Bible at the kitchen table -- I'm sure my boys would take that as a great opportunity to get into something off limits. Jack would have a pair of scissors in one hand and be pressing the toaster buttons; Elijah would be enjoying a nice splash and snack at the dog bowls. I'm really starting to think that getting up early (aargh.) is the only reasonable answer, but I haven't been willing to turn over that leaf yet. I suppose it simply comes down to what I treasure most: sleep, comfort, amusement... or intimacy with my Maker.

3 comments:

sarah said...

I'm in your boat...even with one kiddo. Sleep almost always wins. Is Jack living in the cage?

Mandy said...

We definitely keep Jack in the cage as much as possible. just kidding. But he's seriously proud that he knows how to open and close it by himself.

Cinda Boshart said...

Hey, Mandy! I loved reading a few of your blogs. You sound like you're doing great--loving your husband and children...and the Lord.

I wanted to tell you that your dad started me reading the Bible through every year several years back. He was printing a reading plan to give to his SS class one Sunday morning at the end of December. He asked me if I wanted to read the Bible through in the new year, and I've done it every year since. I'm really grateful for his simple question--it's made a difference in my life!
Love you, Cinda