Saturday, August 29, 2009

Hoping for a Good Night

I'm back staying with Jack at the hospital tonight. He has finally fallen asleep after not taking a nap all day. He has been so much more active and enthusiastic today, and I think he was just to busy to fall asleep. But he finally ate some macaroni and cheese and settled in to watch Lightning McQueen... it seems like just being still and quiet for a while put him over the sleepy edge.

It was an incredibly positive day, but I'll share a few low points as well. Josh's mom had to head back to Amarillo this afternoon... Jack's response after they left for the airport - "Where's my friend Grandy? I want her to come back and see me." Also, he had to get his IV replaced this evening, which wasn't fun (took 2 sticks...), but they sent two burly guys from the Kangaroo Crew to do it. He seemed to respond better to them than he might have otherwise, and they were very gentle and competent. He's doing better taking the oral ibuprofen (orange-flavored), but he's still really fighting the oral Lortab ("green stuff"). The last time that I gave it to him, he held it in his mouth while screaming and made himself gag. Luckily it was just a little bit of the dose, so after he rinsed his mouth out, we then made him take the rest. It wasn't fun. But hopefully we'll keep making improvements as he realizes that we're not going to stop expecting him to take it.

I included the picture below of Jack and baby Avery at the special request of Josh's aunt, and also because so many of you have asked how I'm feeling with limited sleep and an abnormal schedule. So here you can see that she still seems to be growing just fine (!!) and kicking around like her normal busy little self. I went home last night and got some great sleep and a long shower, and our night nurse is reputed to try hard to group all the things that have to be done at night... we will both get a lot more sleep if we're interrupted fewer times. Thank you so much for all your help and thoughts and prayers. We're doing so well, and I think it's only going to get better.

4 comments:

AJTurner said...

Hey Mandy,
thanks so much for posting, although I just found out it was here its been nice to be able to read and find out how Jack is progressing and know how we can be praying since we can't be there. We are praying for all of you, especially that food and meds will continue to be taken well, that Jack's body will heal quickly and completely, and that you and Josh will have an abundance of patience and good nights of sleep. We're also praying for Avery and very excited for her debut :) we love you all, give the boys hugs and kisses from Aunt Aaron and Uncle Caleb please!

Sandy Parker said...

Hi Mandy and Josh!

Thanks to much for posting a photo of Avery's present home!!! I love it! Thanks.
So happy to read that Jack's day went so well Friday - I bet he slept like a log after all that movement. Love all the pictures and stories you post - helps us to stay 'tuned in' to what's happening.
love and hugs,
Aunt Sandy xoxo

Jen said...

Hey Josh and Mandy,
It sounds like Jack is doing great! We are so happy for him and he looks adorable in all of his pics. We will pray for his continued progress and for you all to be able to go home soon.

RT said...

Hey Jack,
Get better soon buddie! I like the picture of you driving that little car. Eat good and take your medicine so you can get better and go home. I can hardly wait for you to come to see me and ride in my truck!

Love grandpa